This scrumptious dessert features strawberries, homemade whipped cream, and a nutty crumb topping. It tastes similar to strawberry ice cream. But even my mom who happens to not like strawberry ice cream likes it. So maybe that makes it better than strawberry ice cream.
Whatever the case, it’s a sweet and refreshing spring treat.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbs sucnanat (or brown sugar)
- 6 Tbs softened butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, partly thawed and sliced in half
- 1 cup honey granules (or sugar)
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- Stir together the flour, finely chopped walnuts, and sucanat. Mix in the butter 2 Tbs at a time. (I do this with my hands.) Spread loosely on a jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes (be careful not to burn). Stir and let cool.
- Whip the heavy cream and vanilla until fluffy. Set aside.
- Beat the strawberries, honey granules, and lemon juice until mostly smooth (about 5 minutes). Fold in the whipped cream.
- Spread half the crumb mixture on the base of a 9" by 13" dish. Pour on the strawberry filling, and top with the remaining crumb mixture. Freeze and serve.