I love these tacos. My mom loves them even more. After a few bites she exclaimed, “I think this is my new favorite meal!”
I don’t think I’d go that far, but it was definitely a fun recipe to concoct and eat! These tacos are colorful, scrumptious, and vegetarian. That’s what I’m talking about! :)
This recipe makes about eight large tacos or sixteen small ones (I found one large taco to be quite filling). It fed our family of seven well and we had leftovers.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can organic sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs Cajun Seasoning
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Whole Wheat Tortillas*
- Butternut Squash Hummus**
- 2 tomatoes, thinly slices
- Additional toppings: salsa, sour cream, and slices of avocado.
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, and saute until the onion is tender.
- Add the sliced peppers, and saute until the peppers are beginning to get tender (this will take several minutes).
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to cook until heated through.
Spread Butternut Squash Hummus in the center of each tortilla and top with a handful of spinach. Next layer on the beans, tomatoes, and additional topping as desired. Enjoy!
*I made my own tortillas beforehand using a doubled version of this recipe. It made 16 very large tortillas.
**The Butternut Squash Hummus gives these tacos their signature taste, but I imagine it could be substituted with refried beans for easier prep work.
4 thoughts on “Black Bean Tacos with Butternut Squash Hummus”
Why, Joy, why? Why must you post this yumminess the day AFTER I go grocery shopping?!?
lol! Sorry, Britney! ;) Maybe I can make it for you guys next time you come over! :)
I’m planning to make these during Unleavened Bread, and I looked at the comments and realized that you never made them for us! For shame!
And, the link to the tortilla recipe didn’t work for me.
lol That’s funny, Brits! Oops…sorry!….I should have made it for y’all sometime! :) Thanks for letting me know about that link. :)