Break out the stash yarn! These booties are super quick to knit and great for using up small amounts of leftover yarn. The pattern is the same for all sizes, you simply change your gauge to make size preemie, newborn, and baby booties.
Skill Level: easy
Stitches Used: cast on, bind off, knit, purl, k2t, ssk, sssk, k3t, picking up sitches
Abbreviations: knit (k), purl (p), knit two together (k2t), slip slip knit (ssk), slip slip slip knit (sssk), stitches (sts)
Sizes: preemie (newborn, and baby), measures 3″ (3 1/2″, 4″) long
Note: Make sure you check your gauge. The size of the booties is determined by the gauge you use.
preemie: 4 stitches = 1″
newborn: 3 1/2 stitches = 1″
baby: 3 stitches = 1″
- set of five double pointed knitting needles in size needed to obtain gauge . ( I used size 8 needles for preemie booties, size 9 needles for newborn booties, and size 10 1/2 needles for baby booties)
- yarn suitable for gauge (I used about 26 yds of worsted weight yarn for a pair of preemie booties, 28 yds of heavy worsted weight yarn for a pair of newborn booties, and 32 yds of bulky weight yarn for a pair of baby booties)
- yarn needle
-Booties- (make 2)
- With needle size and yarn needed to obtain gauge, cast on 5 sts.
Rows 1-18: knit (9 ridges). (see diagram #1 below)
- With needle #2: pick up and knit 9 sts along the left edge of the garter stitch strip. (see diagram #2 below)
With needle #3: pick up and knit 5 sts along the bottom. (see diagram #3 below)
With needle #4: pick up and knit 9 sts along the right edge. (total of 28 stitches on needles) (see diagram #4 below)
Rows 1-4: join in round, knit.
(directions are given for each needle on rows 5-7)
Needle #1: knit 5.
Needle #2: knit till there are 2 sts left on the needle, slip these last 2 sts onto needle #3.
Needle #3: sssk, k3, (1 un-worked st left on needle #3) slip 2 sts from needle #4 onto needle #3 ( 3 un-worked sts left on needle #3) k3t.
Needle #4: knit to end of needle. (total of 24 sts on needles)
Row 6: Same as Row 5. (total of 20 sts on needles)
Needle #1: ssk, k1, k2t. (Note: for a wider leg opening skip the decreases on this needle and simply knit 5.)
Needle #2: knit till there are 2 sts left on the needle, slip these last 2 sts onto needle #3. (3 sts)
Needle #3: sssk, k3, (1 un-worked st left on needle #3) slip 2 sts from needle #4 onto needle #3 ( 3 un-worked sts left on needle #3) k3t. (5 sts)
Needle #4: knit to end of needle. (total of 14 sts on needles)
Row 8: knit.
Rows 9-11: k1, p1, ribbing. (Note: to make the leg opening larger, don’t work the k1, p1, ribbing and just do garter stitch in the round for rows 9-16)
Rows 12-16: knit (or work any stitch pattern desired).
- Bind off loosely and weave in ends. Fold cuff over and sew in place if desired.