Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) container salsa (I use Newman Own's medium salsa)
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 (15 oz.) can organic sweet corn, drained
- 1 (16 oz.) can chili beans, not drained
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups crushed organic corn chips
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh kale (or spinach)
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained well (or about 1 cups fresh chopped tomatoes)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the beef and onion in a skillet with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Cook until browned; strain and rinse.
- Return the cooked beef to the skillet and add the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Place the crushed corn chips on the bottom of a greased 9" by 13" baking dish.
- Spoon half the bean mixture over the chips. Spread the kale (or spinach) on top. Add the remaining bean mixture. Sprinkle on the diced tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle on the cheddar cheese and cook another 5 minutes. The casserole should be warm and bubbling.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro if desired.