After a long absence of patterns on this blog….
I present to you the Fishtail-Cable Headwarmer.
And it’s cute.
The cable pattern is a unique design that resembles a fishtail braid.
I like to wear the headwarmer on my way to Krav Maga. It gives me the warmth of a hat, while still allowing me to wear my hair in a ponytail.
So without further adieu….
Fishtail Cable Headwarmer
Skill Level: Intermediate
Size (one size fits most): 5″ wide and 18″ circumference (It can stretch larger)
Gauge: 5 sts and 5 rows in fishtail-cable pattern = 1″
Stitches and Abbreviations: K (knit), P (purl), C2F (cable two front), C2B(cable two back), S1kw (slip one stitch knitwise), S1pw (slip one stitch purlwise)
Note: When stated, repeat the instructions written within the asterisks (*)
- 1 skein Caron Simply Soft, hot pink (or desired worsted weight yarn)
- size 8 (5.0 mm) knitting needles
- cable needle
- stitch markers (a scrap of yarn will do the trick if you don’t have the real deal)
-Fishtail Cable Pattern-
Row 1: *P1, C2F, C2B, P1* repeat to end. (right side)
Row 2: *K1, P1, K2, P1, K1* repeat to end. (wrong side)
Row 3: *P1, K1, P2, K1, P1* repeat to end.
Row 4: *K1, P1, K2, P1, K1* repeat to end.
Repeat the above four rows as directed.
- Cast on 28 stitches.
- S1kw, K1, place stitch maker, *P1, K1, P2, K1, P1* repeat till there are 2 stitches left, place stitch marker, K2. (right side)
- S1pw, P1, slip the stitch maker, *K1, P1, K2, P1, K1* repeat to marker, P2. (wrong side)
- Repeat numbers 2 and 3.
- S1kw, K1, work cable pattern to marker, K2.
- S1pw, P1, work cable pattern to marker, P2.
- Repeat numbers 5 and 6 till headwarmer measures 18″ long (ending on Row 1 of the cable pattern)
- S1pw, P1, *K1, P1, K2, P1, K1* repeat to marker, P2.
- Slpw, K1, *P1, K1, P2, K1, P1* repeat to marker, K2.
- Repeat number 8.
- Bind off in stitch pattern, being careful not to bind off too tightly.
- Sew both ends together and–ta-da!–you have your very own Fishtail-Cable Headwarmer.
PDF (Printer Friendly Version): Fishtail-Cable Headwarmer
Leave me a comment if you have any questions. Happy knitting! :)
2 thoughts on “Fishtail-Cable Headwarmer (Pattern)”
I’m making the fishtail headband. I’m having trouble trying to figure out how to do the cables. Would you please send me exact cabling instructions, e.g. 2 stitches in front but what do you do next? knit or purl from the needle for 2 stitches, etc.
Any help re: both the cabling techniques would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your comment, Linda.
The way I wrote out the cables might have been a bit confusing, so since you’ve commented I’ve re-written them to C2F and C2B (before they were written CF2 and CB2–the pattern hasn’t changed, I’ve just improved the way it’s written). Sorry for any inconvenience!
Here is a great tutorial on how to do a C2B (How to knit C2B)
The video also briefly mentions how to do a C2F. It is simply the reserve of C2B (i.e. you place the stitch on the cable needle in the front (F) instead of the back (B).
These cable stitches are easy to do with cable needles, but I’ve also found a video that shows how to do both without a cable needle. I will share it with you in case it’s helpful. (How to knit C2F and C2B without a cable needle)
I hope that this has clarified the pattern for you. If not, please let me know. And I will try to make a video tutorial within a weeks notice. Happy knitting! ~Joy